ASIC advertising guidelines outline certain words which they do not approve of as they can lead to misleading statements.
While this is not an exhaustive list, you need to be mindful of the following words:
- Free service
- Independent service
- Save you thousands
- Massive savings
- Substantial amount
- Instant / immediate / quickest
- Risk-free / hassle-free / stress free
- Cheap / cheapest
- Easy / fast(est) / simple
As an alternative, it is always best to use the terminology of the legislation. For example:
- We will find the right home loan for your needs.
- Personalised assistance.
- We can provide you with competitive choices.
In any form of marketing/advertising, you must disclose the following:
- Licensing statement: Credit Representative (insert number) is authorised under Australian Credit Licence 389328. Note: If you are advertising under a company banner, then the corporate credit representative number is to be used, not your individual.
- Disclaimer statement: Your full financial situation would need to be reviewed prior to acceptance of any offer or product.