Sending emails from your own domain
If you wish to send emails from your own web address you will need to update/create your DNS (Domain Name Server) records.
- Click on your settings drop-down
- Click on My Settings
- From the left-hand menu, select Advanced
- Then click on 'I will manage my own email authentication'
- In the DKIM / DomainKeys field, type your domain name i.e. mybusinessname.com.au
- Click generate
The TXT Record and Value will be generated
- Copy the TXT Record and Value to a text file (as you will need to use these value and create a new TXT record in your DNS zone)
Note: If you are unsure, you will require the assistance of you IT Administrator to update your records in your DNS Providers console.
- In the SenderID field, type your domain name (similar to the above).
- Click generate
The TXT Record and Value will be generated.
- Copy the TXT Record and Value to a text file (as you will need to use these values and create a new TXT record in your DNS zone)
Note: If you already have an existing SPF record you will just need to update the record syntax to have include:emsds1.com. If you are unsure, you will require the assistance of you IT Administrator to update your SPF records in your DNS Providers console.
Setting up message variables
Message variables are the specific elements within a template that provide content that can be easily reused between templates and is broker or contact specific. For example your name and email address.
The message variables only need to be set up once when you are configuring Active Campaign, so once done they will be automatically applied to templates.
These message variable are used by the Digital Marketing templates.
- Click on Campaigns
- Click the Manage Templates drop-down
- Select Edit Message Variables
Note that only message variables with the word default need to be modified when you first start using Active Campaign. The other variables such as %brand_footer% etc can be changed at your convenience.
- Click on the edit button
- In the visual editor, type the variable
- Check that it applies to all your lists
- Click on the update button
- Repeat for all message variables.
How to set up an SMS automation
- Click on the Automations tab
- We have setup a template for you to use called Template - Sending SMS
- Click on Template - Sending SMS
- The key action is the Notify email@example.com. This is a 'Notify someone' sending option.
- Open the Notify firstname.lastname@example.org option
- It is recommended that you copy this Template automation and modify to suit your needs.
- You can also create your own using these guidelines.
How unsubscribe works
When a contact chooses the unsubscribe option in an email sent from Active Campaign, this triggers an action to check the No Marketing checkbox in Mercury.