Premium subscribers have a monthly email newsletter template created and loaded into their Digital Marketing Hub account each month. This template is made available one week prior to being sent out to clients on their behalf, providing the opportunity for changes and personalisation to be made to the eMag before it’s sent out on the scheduled date.
It’s not compulsory to edit your eMag – if you’re happy with the content, you can leave it as it is, and we’ll send it to your contacts as per schedule. Below are some tips to consider when making changes to the template in the Digital Marketing Hub.
Drag and Drop Content Blocks
You can add and edit the eMag template by using the content blocks available when viewing the template.
There are nine content block types, available on the right-hand side of the template, which can be used to add and edit content:
- Text - use this to add copy
- Image - use this to add any images
- Button - use this to make a call to action stand out
- Video - use this to link to a video on YouTube or Vimeo
- Line break - use this design element to add a line break in between your content blocks
- Spacer - use this design element to add space in between your content blocks
- Social - use this to add your social media follow pages and allow contacts to share your message on their networks
- HTML - use this to add your own custom html code (ie, if you want to include a countdown clock)
To use any of these content blocks in your eMag, click on the content block of your choice from the Insert menu on the right, and drag it to your desired spot in the email template. As you drag the content block to the template, you will notice that a green highlight line appears. This line indicates where the content block will be placed when you drop the content block by releasing the mouse click.
Add an image
The images in the eMag template are 600 pixels wide, and 250 pixels high. This is the size we recommend you use if you’re adding or changing images in the template. It’s also important the file size of the image is kept to a minimum – we recommend keeping images under 200 KB if possible.
To add an image:
- Drag and drop the image content block to your desired spot
- Click on the content block and in the modal pop up, the Image Manager will display all images you currently have.
- Click on the “Add New Image” button on the top right.
To insert your image into your campaign, mouse over the image of your choice in the Image Manager and select “Choose.” Once your image has been added, you have the option to adjust its placement in the content block, crop and edit it, replace the image with a different one, drag and drop that image content block into a different section of your template, or resize your image.
The Email Designer also offers several different options that you can use to format your text. This includes adjusting line height (space in between each line); changing the font type, size, colour; adjusting margins and padding; and embedding a link.
The Options tab on the right-side menu allows you to adjust the line height, set margins and padding, and modify background colour. To use any of these options, click on the text content block you wish to adjust, and click on the Options menu tab.
To adjust the font type or to add styling to your text, simply click on your desired content block and a modal menu bar will appear where you can apply a different font type, adjust the font size and colour, and align your text. This menu will also let you hyperlink text and insert a personalization tag (e.g. Dear %FirstName%).
Changing a ‘call to action’ button
Each article within the template usually includes a 'call-to-action’ button, directing the reader to further information outside the email – for example, "click here" to a full-length article on our blog.
These call-to-action buttons have been set up in the template with your own personal brand colour for the button. The template includes Custom HTML code to pull in your individual brand colour, which is why the button appears to be blank/white in the template.
Rest assured however, it won’t appear like this when it’s sent. To view how it will appear, click on the Settings cog icon at the top-right corner (under the Save & exit button), and send a test email to yourself.
To change the URL link and text on the button follow these steps:
- Click on the content block containing the button you want to edit
- You will see the Custom HTML appear on the right-hand menu. Highlight all the code, copy it and paste it into a Word doc or Notepad.
- Now simply change the URL link and Button text in the Custom HTML code, which is highlighted in red below.
<div class="button-wrapper" style="margin: 0; outline: none; padding: 0; text-align: center;">
<!--[if mso]> <v:roundrect xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" href="https://financefocus.connective.com.au/welcome-to-our-april-newsletter-2/" style="v-text-anchor:middle; width:130px; height:40px; " arcsize="10%" strokecolor="#d6d6d6" strokeweight="1pt" fillcolor="%company_color%" o:button="true" o:allowincell="true" o:allowoverlap="false" > <v:textbox inset="2px,2px,2px,2px"> <center style="color:#ffffff;font-family:Arial; font-size:14px; line-height: 1.1;">Read More</center> </v:textbox> </v:roundrect>
<![endif]--> <a href="https://financefocus.connective.com.au/welcome-to-our-april-newsletter-2/" style="margin: 0; outline: none; padding: 12px; color: #ffffff; background-color: %company_color%; border: 1px solid #B5B5B5; border-radius: 3px; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; display: inline-block; line-height: 1.1; text-align: center; text-decoration: none; mso-hide: all;" target="_blank"> <span style="color:#ffffff;font-family:Arial;font-size:14px;" target="_blank"> Read More </span> </a></div>
- Paste all the code back into the Custom HTML field in the template editor of the Digital Marketing Hub
- Save Changes
- To check your changes have been made successfully, send yourself another test email as explained earlier in this article.
Create a new call-to-action button
If you have added a new piece of content and what to create a call-to-action button to accompany it, we recommend duplicating another button in the template, and simply changing the URL link on the button (and text if appropriate) as follows:
1. Click on the content block containing the call-to-action button you want to duplicate
2. Select the settings cog icon
3. Choose Duplicate this content block
4. Use the four-point-arrow on the newly duplicated content block and drag it into the position you want
5. Update the Custom HTML code with the correct URL and button text as per instructions for ‘change the URL link and text on the button’ above.
Important: Connective are unable to check the eMag in each broker’s Digital Marketing Hub account individually, so it is imperative you finish editing prior to the deadline for changes otherwise it will be sent out as it was last saved.