illion and Equifax - Why is the data different?
Credit reporting bureaus (for example illion and Equifax) share about 90% common data. That means that a little over 90% of the time the two companies will have the same data. The rest of the data, around 10% is exclusive to either Equifax or illion. So, if some of your client’s data falls in that exclusive 10%, it will appear in one report but not the other.
It's important to note that there will be differences, and this is why the major banks and some second tier banks are dual bureau (they check both bureaus) when making a credit decision.
Example: Directorship details available in Equifax and not illion.
Directorships are with ASIC and illion do get the same data as Equifax. However, if it’s a relatively new directorship and an enquiry was lodged with Equifax, the directorship may yet to have been refreshed with ASIC/ illion.
Credit Scores – Why are they different?
Below are common factors behind the differences in credit scores.
illion and Equifax have their own credit score algorithm which interprets the information held in a credit report and calculates a credit score from that data. With different calculations and a different emphasis being placed on each element, the scores can differ.
As mentioned previously, each bureau having some unique data will also affect the credit score.
- Scoring Scales
- Equifax score is generally between 0-1200.
- Illion’s is generally scaled from 0-1000
Credit Scores – No data returned for the client?
The consumer does not exist in the bureau database, if this is incorrect or any other details needs to be changed then the client will need to contact the Illion PAC team.
illion Public Access Centre
8.30 am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday
illion Broker Support Team
Remember! Lenders check both Illion and Equifax credit scores when making their credit decision.