Privacy Legislation requires you to redact Tax File Numbers (TFNs) from client documents that you store. Mercury Nexus simplifies the process with our redaction tool that automatically scans your PDF document, obscures the TFN and replaces it with new version that you send and store.
How does TFN Redaction work?
Simply upload your document in PDF format, launch the tool and the redacted file will replace your existing document in Mercury and will also be sent to you via email. Note. The quality (clarity) of the PDF will impact the ability for Redact to obscure the TFN's.
How do I redact a tax file number?
- Open the CRM app and select Opportunities from the main left-hand menu.
- Highlight and open the relevant Opportunity.
- Open the Attachments tab from the sub left-hand menu.
- Click Upload file to upload your document.
Note. The file must be a PDF and the quality (clarity) of the PDF will impact the ability for Redact to obscure the TFN's.
- Highlight your PDF and Click the TFN Redaction button.
- A message will appear indicating that the document has been sent to the queue.
- The document will move through a number of stages. You can check the status in the TFN Status column by clicking on the Refresh button.
- Requested - Your document has been sent to the redact tool.
- Awaiting - Your document is in the queue.
- Processing - The redaction is being performed.
- Redacted - The redaction is complete and the file will be sent to you shortly.
- Completed - The redacted document has been sent to Mercury and via email.
- Once the status changes to Completed the new document will replace original in the attachments tab and the document will also be emailed to you. The email you receive with your redacted document will also contain a Confidence Score giving you an indication of the redaction success. It is a requirement of all Connective Credit Reps to check each document before it is sent to the Lender and we strongly recommend that ACL Holders follow the same practice.
Note: If Mercury Redact does not remove a TFN this may be due to a number of reasons including that the TFN is not legible or that the TFN is not valid. Depending on the circumstances it may be appropriate to make further enquiries. In some circumstances the entire document may be redacted by the tool. This is not something we have control over and relates the security settings on the original file. In this circumstance you will need to use an alternative method to redact the TFN. Apply Online has a tool which can be used in it's Supporting Documents tab.
Q: How long will it take for the TFN/s to be redacted from my document/s?
A: From 1 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the document.
Q: Why do I have to upload in a PDF format?
A: The redact tool is only able to process PDF Documents.
Q: I am pressing on the Redact button but nothing is happening, what do I do now?
A: Contact the Mercury Helpdesk by clicking on the help button in Mercury.
Q: The TFN was not removed from the document I uploaded to Mercury, what do I do now?
A: As the effectiveness of the Redact tool relies on the quality of the PDF document, complete redactions are not always guaranteed. It these instances we recommend manually completing the redaction. There is an alternative method via Apply Online and also LoanApp which could be tried.
Q: Will the Redact tool detect and redact 8-digit TFN/s?
A: No. The ATO stopped issuing 8-digit TFNs in 1988. The redaction algorithm we have implemented is designed to look for 9-digit numbers and will not detect/redact an 8-digit TFN.
Q: The Redact tool removed more than just the TFN/s?
A: The Redact tool works from a complicated algorithm to pick up the TFN numbers. It is possible for the tool to detect false positives and redact other sets of 9 digits. An example could be part of an ABN.